"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on I can't install the Spacy library using the terminal in VSCode on Windows 10

I can't install the Spacy library using the terminal in VSCode on Windows 10

+1
−0

I am trying to install the Spacy library in VSCode in a folder with a virtual environment. The output appearing in the terminal is excessively long; I will share it with a pastebin later. My version of Python is Python 3.13.0 and pip is pip 2.42, so they are up to date. I think the most important part is the following:

× pip subprocess to install build dependencies did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> [113 lines of output]
      Ignoring numpy: markers 'python_version < "3.9"' don't match your environment

[74 lines of output]
        Ignoring numpy: markers 'python_version < "3.9"' don't match your environment

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.

In the spacy GitHub repository, they provide a possible explanation. They say it may be necessary to install a previous version of Python, but if this were true, many people would have this problem. I’m not sure.

I have followed the instructions from the official Visual Studio Code website for Python and Spacy as well. I have installed vs_buildsTools to have a C++ compiler too, But I cannot continue, i have always the same issue.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

pip (2 comments)
pip
Michael‭ wrote 1 day ago

As of this writing, Spacy doesn't have a pip package for Python 3.13.

Richard‭ wrote 1 day ago

Thanks, I didn't know that. So I should have an older version of Python installed. I think a possible solution is to install an older version in the virtual environment where I'm working and leave the current 3.13 installed. Is this possible?