"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on How do I configure Jenkins to strip the leading “origin/” in git branch parameter?

Parent

How do I configure Jenkins to strip the leading “origin/” in git branch parameter?

+2
−0

I'm using Jenkins with a branch parameter to specify the branch to build from. Other stuff downstream needs the branch name to not have the leading "origin/" -- just "feature/blahblah" or "bugfix/12345" or similar. The advanced settings for the parameter let me specify a branch filter via regex, but I'm a regex newbie and the solutions I've found in searching are language-dependent. The Jenkins documentation for this is sparse.

When a user clicks on "build with parameters", for the branch I want to see branch names that omit the leading "origin/". I'm not sure how to write a regex for Jenkins that will "consume" that part of the branch name before setting the parameter value.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
−0

For the git branch parameter, set Branch Filter to:

origin/(.*)

I found the parentheses to be counter-intuitive, because if you don't specify a filter you get:

.*

(No parens.) If you are filtering stuff out, you use parens to indicate the part to keep.

The parens indicate a capture group, which is general to regular expressions and not specific to this case. Specific to this case is that the branch filter of the git-parameter plug-in takes the matched capture group as value if and only if the regex pattern contains a single capture group. If the regex pattern has more than one capture group, the branch name is taken as value -- as if the pattern were defined without capture groups at all. It's not well-documented, but see the code. (Thanks to ‭hkotsubo‭ and elgonzo‭ for the information in this paragraph.)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
hkotsubo‭ wrote over 3 years ago

In regex, parentheses create a capturing group (which means that anything that matches the expression inside them becomes a separate group). My guess is that, when a group is present, only its contents are kept and the rest are ignored/removed - I couldn't find any info about that in the docs, though, but it's not uncommon for tools to have a "special" behaviour when there are capturing groups

elgonzo‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Funnily enough, the branchfilter of the git-parameter plug-in will take the matched capture group as value, if and only if the regex pattern contains a single capture group. If the regex patterns happens to have more than one capture group, the branch name is taken as value - as if the pattern was defined without capture groups at all.

elgonzo‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago
Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@elgonzo ah! Thanks. I did not find that in the actual documentation, and I didn't read the code. (Will edit the info from comments into this post in a bit.)