"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Renaming sheets to the more specific google-sheets?

Parent

Renaming sheets to the more specific google-sheets?

+12
−0

sheets tag sounds a little bit too generic and I feel that it should be replaced with the more specific [google-sheets].

I know that we should avoid using company names as much as possible, but in this case, I think it will prevent confusion for anyone not familiar with the Google sheets (e.g. we have worksheets from Excel and perhaps other spreadsheets solutions).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
−0

Google Sheets isn't a company name, it's a product name. A tag called google-sheets is perfectly fine. Google doesn't market this product as "Sheets", they market it as "Google Sheets".

What is not OK is using the tags "google" and "sheets" together. That's one of the issues that the company name link addresses.

I also noticed that the tag is used sloppily, sometimes referring to Google Sheets, sometimes referring to a spreadsheet in some other context like Excel. So if the tag is renamed, which I recommend, we'll have to go through all posts tagged "sheet" and either remove the tag or come up with a new one called "spreadsheet", if such a tag is even meaningful. Which I kind of doubt, has anyone ever used Excel without using spreadsheets?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Similarly, "formula" is another garbage tag which is way too generic and ambiguous.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

formula is way too ambiguous - it applies to spreadsheets, databases, general programming language. But spreadsheet can be quite applicable, if I am writing software to create a spreadsheet, or if I am writing my own spreadsheet program, or if I have a generic (not specific to Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets or OpenOffice Calc) question regarding spreadsheets.