"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Promoting the advantages Codidact Software has over Stack Overflow or similar communities

Promoting the advantages Codidact Software has over Stack Overflow or similar communities

+9
−0

Note: some of these points are relevant for all communities, but I would like to focus on Software Development for now

I am thinking of promoting Software Codidact, but I could not find a single page to include a list of advantages it has over other similar platforms, mostly against the SO.

What I could find so far:

• better answer scoring - most Q&A platforms (SO included) use simple upvotes - downvotes scoring which can trick the viewer. 10-8 voting is a red flag when compared to 3-1 votes. Codidact uses an improved answer scoring (modified Wilson score) to better understand the quality of an answer.

• upvotes and downvotes for everyone - Stack Overflow is showing both upvotes and downvotes only for registered users with at least 1000 points. That's hard to get and it is an important barrier to finding the quality of an answer. Codidact offers this information for all, including unregistered users.

• closed questions separation, questions sandbox or similar - AFAIK Stack Overflow does not seem to have a decent way to handle low-quality questions and thus an important fraction of the questions get closed without being reopened. If we find a way to deal with this I think this would be an important advantage over SO which insists on the "one size fits all" model.

• comment threads - posts allow multiple threads for their comments, allowing to easier to understand conversations

The following are based on Monica's feedback:

• categories - a community may define posts categories (meta is a special category). For example, software development includes the main Q&A and the code review, as code review is closely related to software development.

• community-level configuration - communities have the freedom to customize and tweak based on their needs. Examples include custom posting guidances,

The following is based on Lundin's feedback:

• community-driven open-source - increased transparency and responsiveness at the community level

The following is based on Quasímodo‭'s feedback:

• good answer rate - Codidact has a healthy ratio between the number of users with questions and the ones that can answer them. This means that any decent question will very likely get at least one answer.
  • reaction on question - virtually all posts have some feedback (votes and comments) helping the poster to better understand the problem and get an answer.

This is far from a complete list, but I would like some feedback for building up a page to include this information. It would be very helpful in promoting Codidact also using some facts.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

6 comment threads

Did you write something as a result of this post? With the new attention we're currently getting, I'... (2 comments)
More attention your question (2 comments)
Open source (1 comment)
different post types (2 comments)
Do we really deal better with low quality questions? (2 comments)
Show more
Open source
Lundin‭ wrote about 2 years ago

One of the greatest benefits ought to be community-driven open source. So if we want to change something, we can. No need to scrape and bow for some non-responsive private company.