"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Questions easily answered by studying a beginner-level book

Parent

Questions easily answered by studying a beginner-level book

+15
−3

This scenario is not yet a problem for this site, but we will get there, since it's a huge problem for Stack Overflow:

Someone just picks up a well-known programming language for the first time. Then they almost immediately post a question on an online programming forum, which they could have easily answered themselves by reading the first chapters of a beginner-level book or by doing a minimum amount of research with a search engine.

That is, they did absolutely zero research effort and treats the community as an interactive beginner tutorial, expecting instant gratification by having their FAQ answered.

Should such questions that can easily be answered by a beginner-level book on the topic be closed? If so, what note should we add to https://software.codidact.com/help/on-topic?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−5

Beginner questions are not a "huge problem" for StackOverflow. They are the main reason SO got big at all. During what I would call its "peak", the joke going around was that the best documentation for any software is its SO tag. SO responded to this by creating a whole site feature around it, and many software publishers (including one of the largest of all time) officially use it as a user help channel.

I think the real problem is that self-styled experts begin to grow an ego in proportion to their rep score and mod privileges, and take it upon themselves to teach a lesson to impertinent newbies who dare to ask a question that is too simple and bores them.

I think the solution is for mods and active long-time users to get a reality check. The users are not here for your entertainment and amusement. They're asking questions because they're confused and want help. The system fundamentally works because it's fun to answer questions, but the users are not competing to please you, the "expert", with the most exquisite question where you can showcase your arcane expertise.

• If the question is too simple for you, ignore it and move on.
  • If there's an objective problem (not just "how can you ask something so obvious!!!") then leave a comment explaining how it should be improved
  • If it's already been asked before, link to the answer.
  • If it's something that official docs answer, leave an answer quoting and linking to the relevant section of the docs.

For experts who tire of suffering the ignorant, unwashed masses, and crave the rarefied company of great minds only, perhaps a good solution is to find big-brain tags that are beyond the ken of harebrained noobs, favorite those tags, and browse exclusively them.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Duplicates (4 comments)
Duplicates
Lundin‭ wrote 11 months ago

The problem that you aren't seeing is duplicates. If some 90% of the site content are questions that have been asked before, they drown out everything else. To the point where the person who isn't asking a FAQ gets reduced chances of getting an answer, because everyone is busy dealing with the flood of FAQ. This scenario has been happening on SO high traffic tags for at least a decade. And the FAQ questions didn't need to be on the site to begin with, had the OP known where to find that FAQ information before posting the question. On a site like SO it means that the highest traffic tags get the same FAQ questions asked pretty much on daily basis. At that point you don't need a Q&A site any longer, you can just replace it with an online FAQ. The tag system is at the root of the problem - if everyone tags their question "Java" and every Java programmer only follows the Java tag, then questions will drown in the flood.

matthewsnyder‭ wrote 11 months ago

I'd say I'm well aware of the duplicates. There is an antipattern on SO where a newbie asks "hey here's my code it's crashing why", and then the question gets closed as a duplicate, but the duplicate (for a newbie) is impossible to recognize as such. The close notice gives very little explanation, nobody bothers leaving a comment, and the newbie, being a newbie, is not able to understand how it's actually the same thing as what he's asking.

Specific debugging questions should not be treated as duplicates of other debugging question, this is where the problem is. They should be treated as duplicates of a broad and generic "how to troubleshoot this type of situation" question. Newbies cannot generalize and ask that question, so advanced programmers need to make a few so newbies can be pointed to them.

As for the flood, just have a "debugging" tag or something that people can hide.

matthewsnyder‭ When closing something as duplicate and it isn't obvious how the link solves the problem, at least I think it's appropriate to explain why in comments. Although this is much easier to do when you have a "dupe hammer" and can close posts unanimously. In case there are multiple problems, you can even link multiple duplicates when you have dupe hammer, then leave a note. When multiple people are required for closing as duplicate, then it isn't as obvious. So I'd said the close vote mechanic on SO is as much to blame as the site culture. As for site culture, it's a result of status-by-bad-design of SO, using public shaming as a moderator tool. Since the dawn of Codidact I have kept advocating for a better system with less friction, that gives users feedback regarding why their posts were closed in private - see Giving question feedback in private - a moderating system to reduce conflicts.

matthewsnyder‭ Regarding "debug" tag, I don't think that won't work... teaching new users how to use tags correctly always was mission impossible. A debug category might work though, given that regular/trusted users can move posts between categories somewhat effortlessly, without having to call for a moderator each time.