"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Programmatically import, edit and export DBC files

Programmatically import, edit and export DBC files

+5
−0

I am looking for a way to programmatically edit and save .dbc files that are meant for J1939 CAN communication. I have a few large files that need to be compared/edited.

Being able to import, edit and export DBC files in a program could greatly speed this up.

There is a neat .NET DBC file parser on git that imports the DBC file and gives you all the data you need, unfortunately this library cannot export the data back to DBC.

So basically I am looking for a library that can create DBC files from data.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Requirements? (5 comments)
Requirements?
Lundin‭ wrote 10 months ago

Have you checked with the various companies that specialize in CAN tools and software? IXXAT, Kvaser, Vector etc. If not then what's the requirements, does it have to be open source? Any particular language(s)?

HinkyDinky‭ wrote 10 months ago

Excellent suggestion, I Googled around a lot for a solution, but didn't know / check the websites of these companies. On the website of Kvaser I found something nice, They have an SDK for Canlib which seems to be exactly what I need, I just cant get it to work yet, having trouble using the DLL's (VS22 gives an not found error while I checked everything). Ill report back when I figure it out.

To answer your question, only requirement is that it needs to make j1939-compatible DBC's. C# is preferred but yeah, anything that works.

HinkyDinky‭ wrote 10 months ago · edited 10 months ago

To use Kvaser's Canlib in C# you must add a reference to the dotnet KvadbLib.dll, AND copy another dll Kvaser.KvadbLib.dll (almost same name) from Kvaser's canlib bin folder to your projects executable folder.

Lundin‭ wrote 10 months ago

Ok seems that you might be able to answer your own question then :) Which is fine - it is encouraged to post answers to your own questions if you found it yourself.

HinkyDinky‭ wrote 10 months ago

Yeah was just making an example real quick first, needed to know that it would work. Tested it in Vector, seems fine. Thanks again!