"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on How to implement a relationship between 2 tables where the type of participation is mandatory and RESTRICT rule for both?

Parent

How to implement a relationship between 2 tables where the type of participation is mandatory and RESTRICT rule for both?

+4
−1

Found the example below in a book teaching logical database design, but I'm stuck on how one would implement this in PostreSQL:

enter image description here

The diagram reflects the following business rule:

An instructor must teach one class, but no more than eight classes.

This is what I infer from the diagram:

• There is a 1:N (one-to-many) relationship between the INSTRUCTORS and INSTRUCTOR CLASSES tables.

• Every record (row) in the INSTRUCTORS table has to have at least one corresponding record (row) in the INSTRUCTOR CLASSES table - and vice versa.

• (R) represents the RESTRICT deletion rule. It appears on both sides of the relationship, so in order to delete a record (row) from the INSTRUCTORS table there shouldn't be any record (row) in INSTRUCTOR CLASSES table references it - and vice versa.

The last item is what makes my head scratch:

1. As far as I know, deletion rules / constraints can only be specified on foreign key fields. So how would that work the other way around? Or this can only be implemented outside of PostgreSQL and in the application wrapper itself?

Given the business rule example, it makes sense: If one deletes all assignment for an instructor, then it will violate the rule. (Not saying that the rule is completely sensible though...)

2. If it is possible to implement this, then how would one delete a record (row) from the INSTRUCTORS table? (Or the last assignment for an instructor in the INSTRUCTOR CLASSES table.) Via transactions?

3. Should I even bother worrying about this?

To me, it seems like a very contrived example: Yes, every instructor should teach at least one class, but if there is a new hire for example, they may not have an assigned class yet.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

I would need to check, but I don't think PostgreSQL or most (any?) relational databases have a good way of expressing this "at most 8" constraint. It may be possible to express it in some way but probably not in a good way. For example, you could use triggers, but those have significant issues with regards to performance, discoverability, and complexity.

Most of the time this would be handled through some kind of database access layer which may be a collection of stored procedures or something like the Repository Pattern or some such in application code. The key thing is that all changes should go through this layer which is then free to check and enforce any constraints needed with arbitrary logic. Stored procedures have many benefits for this use, but many developers have historically been pretty negative about them for reasons that I think are mostly obsolete.

Assuming the "Restrict deletion rule" here means to disallow deletes that would violate the constraint, then you would need to delete the instructor and all associated rows of INSTRUCTOR CLASSES within a single transaction. The alternative would be to use a cascading delete rule which would automatically do that when you deleted an instructor. Deleting the last entry for a particular instructor in INSTRUCTOR CLASSES would require a transaction as well which also deleted the instructor or also inserted one or more new rows for that instructor maintaining the constraint.

This is presumably an introduction to database design so you should expect some toy examples. If we ignore the specific cardinality constraints, this is the standard way to implement a many-to-many relation representing that many instructors can teach the same class, and instructors can teach multiple classes. As mentioned, most databases only have direct support for handling 1:1 and 1:N relationships via foreign keys and uniqueness constraints.

That said, many database designs and naive applications of database design methodologies don't actually do a good job of representing database schemas that make sense for mutable data. To put it another way, it's relatively easy to design a database schema for representing a snapshot of data. It is much harder when that data can change over time. For example, a naive schema for a store selling products might be to have a PRODUCTS table with product descriptions, prices, and quantities, a CUSTOMERS table, and a SALE table[1] representing a sale of a product to a customer which you may naively just have as a foreign key to CUSTOMERS and a foreign key to PRODUCTS and a quantity field. For a fixed state of affairs, this would be completely adequate and avoid data redundancy. But now consider increasing the price of a product. Suddenly, it looks like you made more money with your sales which doesn't reflect reality. Indeed, this schema is fundamentally broken in an evolving world.

The "right" solution to this problem in general is to use a temporal database, but few database management systems have much support for temporal database techniques. Nevertheless, looking at techniques behind temporal databases is a good source for dealing with these issues. Event sourcing is another technique to look at, though there is a lot of extra baggage over the core idea that I don't think is so great. Another, related, option to look at is log-based designs that leverage relatively new tools like Apache Kafka. In this approach, a persistent log of "events" would be the source of truth for the system, and the relational database would just be a (materialized) view of the log as of a point in (logical) time. This doesn't obviate the need to think carefully about database design, but it takes some pressure off of it, and if you mess up you haven't permanently lost/corrupted any data (at least not directly). You can always go through the log again with the corrected schema.

1. In practice, you'd more likely have an INVOICE table and a LINE ITEMS table allowing multiple products to be sold in a single transaction, but I'm simplifying here. ↩︎

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

Works for me (1 comment)
At most 8 check (1 comment)
At most 8 check
Alexei‭ wrote 7 months ago

It seems that postgresql allows to define check constraints that use a custom function. In this case it would include a select count children for a particular parent id. The downsides you have mentinoned are still there: harder to spot on table definition and might lead to performance issues.

Considering the domain in the question, I assume a faily low cardinality for entities, so I guess that would work though.