Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!
Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.
Site scope - draft proposal [duplicate]
Closed as duplicate by Lundin on Oct 20, 2020 at 10:46
This question has been addressed elsewhere. See: Community feedback: What type of questions can I ask here?
This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.
EDIT: This discussion thread is mostly obsolete now that a new draft has been posted on the site. Please take further discussion & proposals to this meta post instead: Community feedback: What type of questions can I ask here?.
So it would seem that the scope of this site is yet to be defined. It is for now an "everything programming" site. I hope we can narrow it down a lot further. Here is a draft, open for discussion:
- Specific programming problems, where the poster includes their own attempts to solve or debug the problem.
- Software design, architecture and modelling.
- Code reviews where the complete code is posted and the poster is asking for a review.
- Use of software tools used for programming or software engineering.
- Database management and administration, including the use of tools and languages used for such.
- Web design, including the use of tools and languages used for such.
- Software life cycle management, including build configurations, version control, documentation, release, deployment.
- Code writing requests, where the poster only presents a problem with no attempts to solve it themselves. These are considered rude and may lead to user suspensions.
- Debug requests with insufficient code posted to answer the question.
- Embedded systems programming, including: microcontroller programming, hardware description languages, RTOS questions, PLC programming. Please ask these questions at https://electrical.codidact.com/ instead.
- The use of computers or software for other purposes than software engineering.
- System/network/server administration.
- Recommendation questions about which tools, libraries or technologies to use or where to find them.
- Questions with artificial requirements that have no practical use, including code obfuscation and code golf.
- Project management questions not specific to software engineering.
- Career/study advice and workplace issues.
- Legal or licensing advice.
Please regard the above post as community wiki and feel free to edit it when there is community consensus in the form of highly up-voted answers to this post.
Is a question about importing data into Excel on topic (as seen here)? This seems like it would fall under "questions ab …
I propose removing this from the off topic list > System/network/server administration. I am not an expert, but I …
I don't really see the point of listing specific things as "on topic." Any such list is bound to either be incomplete or …
> Recommendation questions about which tools, libraries or technologies to use or where to find them. I don't support …
> Questions with artificial requirements that have no practical use, including code obfuscation and code golf Questi …
Based on this proposal, I have created a designated section within the Help section: What type of questions can I ask …