"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Do we want a wiki (or similar) alongside Q&A?

Parent

Do we want a wiki (or similar) alongside Q&A?

+11
−2

In addition to Q&A, Codidact supports another post type, article. Articles can be used for blog posts, wiki pages, and other resources. Articles, like questions, use tags, so searching for a tag would find them alongside questions. Articles, unlike questions, do not have answers, though they do have comments.

You can see articles in use on the Meta blog and on Cooking's recipes.

On Some Other site, the only options for sharing information about a topic are tag wikis (not very visible) and self-answered questions. There's nothing wrong with self-answered questions, but sometimes you have information you want to share and have to fabricate a question to support that answer, and that can be challenging.

Does this community want to have a category to hold articles, whether a wiki model or something else?

I'm not advocating one way or the other. What the community is doing now seems to be working fine; there's no need to change anything. New tools enable other options, so I want to make sure folks know about the option. If people are interested in pursuing it there's more discussion that should happen to work out the model (and name the category).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (3 comments)
−1

I hear the walk-before-we-run argument. I think this would be a good thing to try once we reach running speed, though.

Personally, I don't like self-answered questions; I think they're an awkward fit for Q&A sites. I'm primarily here to scratch my itch to help people—when I see a question that's relevant to my interests, only to realize that the asker never wanted help with the question at all, I feel a little let down. Spreading knowledge proactively is a noble goal and I don't want to discourage it, but I think there ought to be a more fit-for-purpose way to do it than the self-answer approach, which I think is kind of a hack.

The proper comparison with articles here would not be Wikipedia articles, IMO, but articles on GitHub wikis for specific projects. Wikipedia is a bad place for rando project documentation because it doesn't meet notability requirements. GitHub wikis are a good place to put that documentation, but GitHub issues are, in some projects' opinions, bad places to ask questions, and so you see a lot of README.md instructions asking users to consult both the wiki on GitHub and Some Other site when they have questions. Enabling articles would let projects define a one-stop shop for knowledge base articles and Q&A, which I think would make a certain amount of sense.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

Self answering not awkward (2 comments)
General comments (3 comments)
General comments
meriton‭ wrote over 3 years ago

The "questions that don't seek answers problem" could be alleviated by posting question and answer at the same time, or by indicating in the question that a self-answer is coming up.

r~~‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@meriton Something that's visible from the questions list (like a tag) would be better. Since Codidact doesn't have accepted answers, I find myself looking at questions even if they already have answers, to see if there's something I think I can add to them.

Charlie Brumbaugh‭ wrote over 3 years ago

We could create a category for self answers, it annoying when you self answer and then get comments on the question remarking how you should have done more research