"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on PHP emails are sent when $message is a string, but not when its an array

Parent

PHP emails are sent when $message is a string, but not when its an array

+3
−1

I host my website on a CentOS-Bash, PHP and MySQL environment; my local email client is engined by Roundcube. I don't know almost anything about PHP nuances.

While my web domain registration is done by one company, my DNS records hosting, websites hosting and website emails hosting are all done by a second company.

I can send emails to myself (to my local email client) via running in terminal php example_1.php with:

<?php
    $to = "example@example.com";
    $subject = "Email Test";
    $message = "PHP's mail function test";

mail($to, $subject, $message);
?>

I can't send emails to myself (to my local email client) via running in terminal php example_2.php with:

<?php
    $to = "example@example.com";
    $subject = "New email message";
    $message = array (
            $name = $_POST["name"] . "Name:" . "\r\n",
            $email = $_POST["email"] . "Email:" . "\r\n",
            $phone = $_POST["phone"] . "Phone:" . "\r\n",
            $topic = $_POST["topic"] . "Topic:" . "\r\n",
            $date = $_POST["date"] . "Date:" . "\r\n",
            $time = $_POST["time"] . "Time:" . "\r\n",
            $notes = $_POST["notes"] . "Notes:" . "\r\n"
    );

mail($to, $subject, $message);
?>

What might cause messages by the second example pattern not to reach my email box?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−2

From the PHP mail manual

mail ( string $to , string $subject , string $message , array|string $additional_headers = [] , string $additional_params = "" ) : bool

PHP manual syntax (typical for many languages) lists the type of each function parameter prior to the name of the parameter. Since parameters are normally passed as $variables, that syntax is used for the names, though you can use any variable names that you want, and for most (there are some occasional exceptions) PHP function parameters you can use constants as well - e.g., a "quoted string" in place of a string.

Specifically, if a parameter is listed with a single type such as string then the parameter can only be of that type. Due to the way PHP works, using an incorrect type can result in any of:

• Automatic "useful" conversion - e.g., numeric to string
  • Warning message
  • Error message
  • Conversion to some value that is not useful in the particular situation

If multiple types are listed, such as array|string, then each of those types is possible and they will each be handled appropriately. In the example of headers, you can either pass an array of strings or a string containing a single header or a string with multiple header strings separated by newline characters.

An interesting twist to the usual type insensitivity of PHP is the implode function which historically has allowed:

implode ( string $separator , array $array ) : string

or

implode ( array $array , string $separator ) : string

where the parameter sequence was determined by type, since the function requires exactly one array and exactly one string.

Back to the problem at hand:

The message is always, and only, a string. That string can be anything from one blob of plain text to multiple sections that include HTML, plain text and attachments. More elaborate functions take all those other parts and turn them into one giant string.

The additional_headers can be a string or an array. That is due to the way headers work. They are sent as a string, but they are processed as key/value pairs, each of which is handled as a string. So an array of strings works for headers. It doesn't work for messages.

In your example, just put it all together as one string.

$message = "Name: " . $_POST["name"] . "\r\n"
     . "Email: " . $_POST["email"] . "\r\n"
     . "Phone: " . $_POST["phone"] . "\r\n"
     . "Topic: " . $_POST["topic"] . "\r\n"
     . "Date: " . $_POST["date"] . "\r\n"
     . "Time: " . $_POST["time"] . "\r\n"
     . "Notes: " . $_POST["notes"] . "\r\n";
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
deleted user wrote about 3 years ago

As someone who generally doesn't work with PHP I already read in that manual page and didn't figure anything like "The message is always, and only, a string"; perhaps figuring it requires some specific background knowledge in programming that until reading the essential part of your answer I lacked; perhaps it's some kind of an "oral tradition" how to understand it which I also lacked ; the bottom line, I think "RTFM" isn't suitable here and brings bad energies to the discourse.

manassehkatz‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Point made (and Alexei edited) about RTFM - it is an extremely standard acronym among programmers, but I can see the concern. The key is the actual argument list - I will elaborate.