"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on How are we supposed to give feedback for poor questions if such comments are deleted?

How are we supposed to give feedback for poor questions if such comments are deleted?

+6
−1

The question https://software.codidact.com/posts/281517 is currently voted at -3. I wrote several comments to explain why, so the author can hopefully ask better questions in the future.

This morning, I found all but the first of these comments deleted without warning.

Alexei gave the following reason:

I have removed the comments that are not relevant. Please use comments to ask for clarifications or generally speaking, to improve the question.

Taken literally, this means that we are not allowed to tell people why a question is downvoted, because that's neither a clarification, nor intended to improve this question.

How are people supposed to learn how to ask better questions if we are not allowed to give them feedback?

Also, I spent quite a bit of time writing these comments, which is now wasted. If you disagree with my comments, could you ask me about them before deleting them?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Related to this - in them early discussion stages of Codidact, I proposed that all feedback about bad questions should be given privately, rather than using the public comment field, since it is a well-known source of anger and drama. People are prone to respond bad to criticism in general, but especially so if it is done in public. It would be great if we could provide feedback to the poster using a private channel.

Also related, what happened to the Arbitration & Review Panel? I guess it is meant to handle more serious issues than deleted comments, but similarly to my idea above, criticism against moderator decisions needn't necessarily be posted on public meta. It could be posted to this panel, and then you get a neutral third party telling you "the moderator action was/wasn't correct, because-..." This might also reduce frustration from all parties.

luap42‭ wrote about 3 years ago

@Lundin re your second question. In short: COVID happened and I started studying, so I haven't yet had the time to work on implementing it. Sorry. It is on my list and it will come, I promise. If you have more questions, please ask a separate question.

luap42‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Re your first question: could you please open a Meta question for that?

@luap42 There were many such discussions on the old forums, though I'm not sure if we came up with any consensus.

@luap42 Ok so I found one of the old posts I wrote at those forums. I've updated it a bit and posted a proposal on meta.codidact here: Giving question feedback in private - a moderating system to reduce conflicts