"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Do we need more specific up/down vote reasons for Software Development community?

Do we need more specific up/down vote reasons for Software Development community?

+6
−0

The help center includes a rather generic (it's the same for all communities) article about voting.

Recently a user flagged a question asking why it had received so many downvotes. While flagging is not for this type of issue, this made me wonder if users are aware of how upvote and downvote are supposed to work and what they mean for Software Development community.

Should we have a more clear and concise way of conveying the information about upvoting and downvoting?

As a reference, I like how SE network shows concise tooltips for each of the two actions:

For questions

• Upvote - This question shows research effort; it is useful and clear
  • Downvote - This question does not show any research effort; it is unclear of not useful

For answers

• Upvote - this answer is useful
  • Downvote - this answer is not useful

Not sure how it would be better from a UX perspective, but replacing the computed score with such tooltips might provide more value.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (5 comments)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

Not sure if I'm following, sorry. Are you proposing that we change the tool tips when we mouse-over the vote buttons? Or are you asking if we should implement a specific page for this community to replace the default https://software.codidact.com/help/voting? Or both?

Alexei‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

Both. However, I think the tooltips are the quick win because they are shorter and more accessible (I expect that the tooltips are read more often than a particular help page). This would hopefully help the users understand why their questions/answers are getting downvotes.

Lundin‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

Well I didn't even know there were tool tips before you posted this. Nor did I know SO had them on the voting buttons and I've been using that site for over 10 years... apparently my brain filters out such things as spam and doesn't register them. So changing/implementing them might not necessarily have any effect at all.

deleted user wrote almost 3 years ago

I had Pull Request for this also. when requesting Score : ..... I had added as SE. But, ArtOfCode said,"I don't think that it is needed". So, I had deleted them.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

I realize it's only part of your question, but moderators can create and edit help topics, so if the community wants to work out some better guidance, you can put it in place.