"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Using Software Codidact as a private community within a company

Parent

Using Software Codidact as a private community within a company

+7
−0

Short version

As you probably know SO offers Stack Overflow for Teams as a product for a knowledge management tool for private use (private teams).

I am wondering if it is possible for Codidact to also offer something similar in the medium term.

Long version

Several years ago along with a few colleagues, I managed a private community based on Stack Overflow for a former employer. Codidact was probably just an idea back then and SO's solution seemed to be the best fit:

• clean layout
  • reputation system
  • favors "less noise"

Fast-forward to nowadays. I have discussed with my boss about implementing a similar knowledge management solution where I work (rather big company, knowledge management is quite messy, a lot of reinventing the wheel). SO's solution would be a natural choice, but now we have Codidact which satisfies many aspects of what I am interested in:

• clean layout
  • better reputation system than SO
  • favors "less noise"
  • no moral issues associated with using a product from a company I do not like anymore

Unfortunately, besides the technical details, there are also some legal ones. From what I remember, the most problematic was related to GDPR and where the data actually resides (within EU or outside).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

We've considered it, but haven't really figured out how it would work yet. In the meantime, anyone ca... (1 comment)
−0

You can, in a sense, do I believe even better than using Stack Overflow's hosted, proprietary service.

You can run your very own instance of the Codidact software (that is, QPixel) locally, on a server fully under your control.

The source code for QPixel is available on Github, along with installation instructions. There is also documentation on how to set up QPixel inside Docker containers, if you prefer that.

Running your own instance locally should either reduce or outright eliminate concerns about GDPR, hosting of proprietary information, and the likes.

You'll need to ensure that you have a way to keep the database up to date; I expect that upgrading QPixel itself will involve just re-cloning the Github repository, but that wouldn't necessarily also update the database to match. Codidact Collab is probably the right place to ask about that.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

database upgrades (1 comment)
database upgrades
Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

When we make code changes that affect the database (like adding/updating tables), we run DB upgrades as part of the deployment. I assume, but have not personally verified (and wouldn't know what to look for), that this is something that's baked into the code in the public repository somehow, either something automatic or a script you run. The Collab community is a good place to ask about that, but I'm pretty sure you'll have everything you need to run your own instance. We intend that use.