"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on How to break line in XML?

How to break line in XML?

+0
−2

How to break line in XML? I was trying to follow the answer. But, It wasn't helpful for me. I had tried <br/> and <br />. None of them works.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="test.css"?>
<breakfast_menu>
<food>
    <name>Belgian Waffles</name>
    <price>$5.95</price>
    <description>
   Two of our famous Belgian Waffles with plenty of real maple syrup
   </description>
    <calories>650</calories>
</food>
<br />
<food>
    <name>Strawberry Belgian Waffles</name>
    <price>$7.95</price>
    <description>
    Light Belgian waffles covered with strawberries and whipped cream
    </description>
    <calories>900</calories>
</food>

I have gave my code above. I was trying to break after food element. I can break line using CSS but, I want to try it without CSS.

white-space: pre-line;
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Edit and clarify your question: What kind of linebreak do you want? (2 comments)
Edit and clarify your question: What kind of linebreak do you want?
elgonzo‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Do you just want a linebreak as part of the document text? Then you can encode just the LF character (0x0A --> &#xA; somewhere in some content text), for example. If you want to have an element in your XML document representing a linebreak, define that element (like you have with <food> and <calories> for example, and make your XML processor/consumer understand that element you have defined. How you would do that, and whether it actually makes sense to do it the way you want, i cannot tell. (I neither know the XML processor you are using, nor do i know the actual goal/result you are trying to achieve by placing something like <br/> at some arbitrary location inside your XML...)

elgonzo‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

As a side note: I kinda can't shake the feeling that it's not the XML document and structure that is really your problem, but rather whatever you use or however you are trying to present/render the food items. Because, honestly, from the XML in your Q it looks like it is just a XML document describing a list of items, but not describing anything layout-related. So, i would suggest you look at whatever you use/do to render the list of items and see how and to which degree you can configure/influence the renderer presenting the food items. If my feeling is right, the CSS-based approach you mentioned looks actually very sensible and reasonable compared to trying to introduce layout/presentation-related meta-information in the XML document (that itself isn't looking like it is meant to describe layout/presentation-related things...)