"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on &lrm; character jumbles text and this can be confusing when working with many articles

&lrm; character jumbles text and this can be confusing when working with many articles

+1
−2

I often work bidirectional text in content management systems and often that text has parenthesis (()) or other textual wrappers flipping after an English text which is preceded in itself by some Right-to-Left text.

For example, with Hebrew, I get the following output:

Preceding Hebrew with parenthesis before document.write

Instead of the desired output:

Preceding Hebrew with parenthesis after document.write

The standard fix

I can fix the problem with &lrm; (Left-to-Right mark) by putting it left to the parenthesis.

For example, untreated input:

Untreaded input

Treated input:

Input with

This way, I will indeed get the desired output.

A possible problem with the standard fix

&lrm; is a multi-symbol-character fixer and can make the input appear more jumbled up than with just the parenthesis, so content editing becomes more frustrating. Hence, I would prefer to use some single-symbol-character fixer left to the parenthesis.

My question

How will you suggest to solve that problem?

Notes

• There are images in this question because Codidact renders content differently than the content management system I use (MediaWiki)
  • I would have gladly used some single-symbol-character representing &lrm; with decent browser support but I doubt one currently exists; maybe JavaScript/CSS are better approaches.
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Code/output text instead of image of it (5 comments)
If you're just looking for a shorter way to write the left-to-right mark character, there isn't. A... (1 comment)
Code/output text instead of image of it
Alexei‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Can you please replace images with actual code / output text?

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

Alexei‭ If I would do that (exactly as the text appears in the CMS), the text would be rendered incorrectly because of the way Codidact renders text. Here is an example:

מתודת document.write()

This is different than the apperance in MediaWiki.

hkotsubo‭ wrote over 2 years ago

deleted user If you put the text inside HTML, with dir attribute set to "rtl", it works: <div dir="rtl">מתודת document.write()</div> (at least in the editor's preview it worked, not sure if it will in the rendered post)

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

hkotsubo‭ I know this approach from years back, again, the rendering here is different than in my (RtL-languaged) MediaWiki website, even this way.

hkotsubo‭ wrote over 2 years ago

deleted user div doesn't work, but span and p seems to do. Check this test I've made on the dev server.