"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Why would a form value inserted with value property won't be effective?

Parent

Why would a form value inserted with value property won't be effective? [closed]

+0
−3

Closed as unclear by Alexei‭ on Dec 1, 2021 at 13:38

This question cannot be answered in its current form, because critical information is missing.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

In a website I didn't build, I want to put a value in an HTML input field element with JavaScript and to also use it as-putted.

I can put it with the browser console this way:

document.querySelector("#example").value = "X";

But, the value isn't effective (isn't recognized by the form) unless actually typed with the keyboard or pasted.

What may cause that problem?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Well, you didn't provide any context on what HTML document / website you are actually trying this... (2 comments)
Maybe - and that's a *wild guess* - the JavaScript code is running before the HTML is loaded, and it ... (3 comments)
−0

It works fine for me.

Here's a minimal working example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>
<form>
<input type="text" name="field" id="field" value="old value">
<input type="button" value="change"
  onClick="document.querySelector('#field').value = 'new value';">
<input type="button" value="display"
  onClick="alert(document.querySelector('#field').value);">
</form>
</body>
</html>

When I open that document in Firefox and simply click "display", "old value" is displayed in the alert popup. When I click "change" and then "display", "new value" is likewise displayed. When I manually change the value in the input text field and click "display", the value I entered is likewise displayed.

Therefore, what you are seeing is either something not mentioned at all in the question (such as perhaps a misused validation framework interfering with the update), or a bug in your browser. Take your pick as to which is more likely.

I recommend that you go back to the very basics, then work your way up to wherever the problem starts to happen. Whatever change you made last is then the cause of the problem.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

There are no "very basics" I went beyond; I have done a simple action and got a result different than... (1 comment)
There are no "very basics" I went beyond; I have done a simple action and got a result different than...
deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

There are no "very basics" I went beyond; I have done a simple action and got a result different than yours; I didn't say where the test was done (not on a website I have built) and I should edit but I am asking what may be the possible reasons to why I get this non-normal result and given the simplicity of the action, I think it's decent to ask it.