"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on A cleanup of "What type of questions can I ask here?"

A cleanup of "What type of questions can I ask here?"

+4
−0

What type of questions can I ask here? has gotten rather cluttered since we have added/removed a lot of things along the way. In particular, I think it is hard to get an idea of what's on-topic by just taking a glance at it.

Proposed changes:

1. Move the text directly below on-topic to a separate section called "general scope". And at the same time remove spreadsheets from the text since that's a remain from before Power Users site launch. We have earlier consensus that Office Suite questions should be migrated there.

General scope of this site

This site is about writing software, where software is understood to include any means of specifying to computer actions to be performed later. This includes general-purpose programming languages, as well as for example SQL and shell scripts.

1. Make headlines in bold text to all the on-topic/off-topic bullets, so that one can easily get an overview. I have done so while trying to not change anything of the actual contents. In some cases I have changed grammar or removed superfluous examples. I have changed the order so that bullets that (kind of) belong together are placed next to each other.

On-topic

• Software implementation, specific programming or troubleshooting problems that include attempts to solve or debug the problem.
  • Software design, software architecture, or modeling.
  • Best practices as long as clear "best" criteria are provided and they can be answered using references or expertise consensus.
  • Software development tools including how to install, configure, troubleshoot and use tools specifically meant for software development (e.g. compilers, debuggers, IDEs)
  • The software development process and project cycles specific to software engineering such as requirements, design or testing.
  • Software life cycle managment including build configurations, version control, release, and deployment.
  • Software documentation including how to write it or how to use tools for that purpose.
  • Database management including database design, programming, or access through SQL.
  • Code reviews that follow the guidelines for code review.
  • User Interfaces that involve some programming: including mark-up language syntax, how to set properties in RAD tools, how to use graphic libraries. As well as algorithm questions regarding how to draw graphics, including to some extent the math and physics behind it.

Off-topic

• Asking for implementations of a certain feature or a whole homework assignment. You should include your (partially working) attempts in the post.
  • Asking for detailed explanations of posted code, unless the code is small, self-contained and an attempt to understand it is also included.
  • Simple typos. Questions where the problem was caused by simple typographical errors are very unlikely to be useful in the future and may be closed.
  • General computer or software support which is not connected to software development/engineering (e.g. ask for recommendations)
  • System, network or server administration.
  • Embedded systems programming including microcontroller programming, hardware description languages, RTOS questions, PLC programming. Please use Electrical Codidact instead.
  • Project management.
  • Software licensing.
  • UI or graphic aesthetics. What looks best, color choices, graphic design, and similar are mostly subjective questions.

Kindly vote up if you agree with these changes or down if you disagree. Please leave an answer if you wish to change something. I will update this question in case there is community consensus that something in the proposal or the existing scope should be changed.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Can we pin this post? (3 comments)
Great idea (1 comment)
Great idea
Alexei‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

This is a great idea. Based on your proposal and the only answer + its comments, I have changed the section contents.

"What type of questions can I ask here?" has also become the first item in the Guidance category.

I will follow this Q&A and update the section if needed.