"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Is there a JavaScript command to remove all CSS pseudo-elements whatsoever in a document?

Is there a JavaScript command to remove all CSS pseudo-elements whatsoever in a document? [closed]

+0
−1

Closed as unclear by Alexei‭ on May 1, 2022 at 17:05

This question cannot be answered in its current form, because critical information is missing.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

In a dense DOM tree created by a content management system which I didn't create and don't know much about there might be pseudo elements hiding in various places.

To ensure that, I want to run some recursive "brute force" JavaScript command that removes any CSS pseudo element whatsoever from a document.

Pseudocode

document.querySelectorAll('*').forEach((element)=>{
    DELETE A CSS PSEUDO ELEMENT;
});

My question

Is there a JavaScript command to remove all CSS pseudo-elements whatsoever in a document?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

What are you trying to achieve exactly? (6 comments)
What are you trying to achieve exactly?
Zakk‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

From your previous post, it looks like you have a XY Problem.

deleted user wrote almost 2 years ago

The particular philosophy of XY problem isn't enforced in that website (I'd be glad to know I am wrong).

Anyway, my opinion is that the post too long already and I don't think it will be constructive to add any further details and of course I have detailed what is it that I try to achieve.

Alexei‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

I think it makes sense to understand how the pseudo-elements are actually creating the trouble in your case and why you want them removed. I am not very knowledgeable in CSS, but I guess that such brute-force approaches might seriously mess the layout (i.e. the pseudo-elements are there for a reason).

Zakk‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

deleted user Take a look at this question.

deleted user wrote almost 2 years ago

Helllo Alexei‭

It weren't pseudo elements but regular texts deep inside the DOM.

I want a brute force approach just to ensure that in a console test but eventually I didn't need it because these are text.

^__^

Alexei‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

I closed the question because it is not clear what it is being asked. The title suggests a way to remove the pseudo elements, but a previous comment actually mentions removing regular text inside a DOM element.