"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Best practices for company internal Swagger Docs in production

Best practices for company internal Swagger Docs in production

+5
−0

The current project I am working on consists of a bunch of microservices (Web APIs) accessible only internally using Entra ID (formerly Azure ID).

To simplify the development, all services expose Swagger Docs, but our SRE told us that Swagger Docs should be disabled in production.

I understand the risks of publicly exposing Swagger Docs in production (increased attack surface, information exposure, unauthorized access risks), but I think none of these apply to the case of having an internal Swagger Docs:

• access is limited to internal users
  • non-prod Swagger Docs is accessible. That means that even with Prod Swagger Docs disabled, anyone with prod access can use a bearer token and Postman (or similar) to call an accessible endpoint

Does disabling Swagger Docs for the production environment make sense when all endpoints are accessible internally only?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Maybe host swagger separately? (4 comments)
Maybe host swagger separately?
jmathew‭ wrote 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Is the API meant to be shared between teams or is it essentially just for the team that deploys it?

If the API is meant for other teams, they need some documentation and that must be delivered. Swagger that's available in network is reasonable. Also, if your SRE is expecting a threat on the internal network, it's worth looking at everything else that could be done on the internal network. Like if someone can see the code for the API just by being on the internal network, removing swagger is pointless.

A lot of the problems with enabling swagger go away if you host it separate from your API. Since it's not co-located with the API, it's effectively just another client on the network (from the api perspective) and DDOS is pointless. So maybe that's enough to satisfy the SRE?

But if swagger is just meant for the internal teams as maybe documentation for new folk, etc basically people who can already access the code. Not much gain in hosting it, so might as well turn it off.

I'm also a little confused on how a static site that displays no user generated content can be exploited via script injection? It's clear someone can pwn you if they can control your swagger file, but publishing the swagger file should already be secured. Maybe the swagger UI's I'm used are more basic than the exploitable ones?

Alexei‭ wrote 4 months ago

jmathew‭ By API I mean the list of exposed endpoints by a Web API (in my case it is an ASP.NET Core API). The goal is the following:

• provide documentation for other teams
  • allow easier testing for our team on non-DEV environments

We already have Swagger enabled on non-prod environments. so I am not sure if a separation is still required.

Separating it is sort of a paranoid safety measure in case there's any way to exploit the Swagger middleware (AFAIK there is none). And perhaps Kestrel*, though touted as production ready, may not be able to serve actual API requests while receiving millions of requests (DDOS) for large static assets (swagger UI js and html files, images, etc). Especially compared to a CDN. But I haven't actually tested that at all. If you were interested in doing that you could run something like Seige (https://linux.die.net/man/1/siege) or K6 (https://k6.io) on a sufficiently resourced machine and see what happens. I'd be interested in the results as well if you do.

But really all of this is very unlikely inside the network anyway. In my opinion, unless the SRE can point to any direct concerns, the pros of swagger availability win by default.

*If you're using Kestrel. I suppose there's IIS and a few other options as well...