"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on What makes people able but unwilling to contribute to FOSS projects?

What makes people able but unwilling to contribute to FOSS projects? [closed]

+2
−5

Closed as off topic by Alexei‭ on Mar 24, 2024 at 07:53

This question is not within the scope of Software Development.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

Suppose someone has the requisite knowledge and skillset to contribute to a FOSS project, they have the free time to do so and they are aware of the project. Yet, they decide not to contribute. This appears to be quite common, the proportion of people who choose to contribute is a tiny minority of those who know the project and can.

What are the biggest factors driving this?

Notes:

• I am asking about people who could contribute, and just don't want to. For example, if someone knows the language and tech of the project, but has an exhausting day job and needs to spend a lot of time with family, I would consider them out of scope for this because they're not actually able (they have the skills, but not the time or energy).
  • I am asking about major trends, because I want to understand the main reasons for why people don't contribute more. If you're aware of any kind of research or statistics that are relevant, you are very welcome to share it.
  • Ideally the answer should be about the population of potential FOSS contributors as a whole, not personal anecdote. If you feel a personal anecdote is nevertheless germane, it would be great to include your logic on why you feel the anecdote has generality. That said, I'm not strictly opposed to purely anecdotal answers (in fact I'd be happy to hear some perspectives) - especially until we get a more general answer.
  • The ideal answer would focus on facts rather than speculation. I am not asking "what could possibly cause people to not contribute". I am asking what actually causes it in reality.
  • This is subtly different from What is a reasonable minimum for making a FOSS project inviting to contributors?. I am asking for main reasons why people don't contribute, regardless of whether they are practical for the maintainers to address.
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

Offtopic (1 comment)
Unstated premises and assumptions (3 comments)
Too subjective (5 comments)
Unstated premises and assumptions
Derek Elkins‭ wrote about 2 months ago

There are multiple unstated premises in this question. Presumably these people are at least users of the software. Also, they'd need to have something they want changed. Further, those changes would need to be changes they want to contribute. For example, changes that tailor the software to my environment or workflow are not of interest to others.

There also seems to be an implicit and, in my opinion, obviously false assumption that a substantial fraction of users of a piece of open-source software should be contributors to it (even restricting to those with the technical skills to do so). Ideally, most of your users are happy with your software as-is. Of the ones that do want something to change, their options are: live with it, switch to different software, contribute a change, rewrite the software. While it depends on the software and desired change, in most cases there are orders of magnitude differences in effort between each of these options.

matthewsnyder‭ wrote about 2 months ago

Presumably these people are at least users of the software.

I don't think you can presume that. When we talk about contributing to FOSS, we think of someone who wants to write code and solve problems in someone else's program. Whether they themselves use the program is tangential. If you do a strict TDD, they could get away without running the program at all.

users of a piece of open-source software should be contributors

No, I'm asking about people interested in programming for FOSS, not users.

Derek Elkins‭ wrote about 2 months ago

I think it's quite safe to neglect. Virtually no project is going to have a significant fraction of its contributions coming from non-users who are only motivated by a desire to contribute to FOSS. Such people will have plenty of FOSS projects that they use that they could contribute to and/or are motivated by some mixture of gaining reputation, impact, a chance to explore something they're interested in, or learning. The vast majority of available open-source projects such a person could contribute to offer relatively little for all of these. Even selecting projects uniformly at random, this would lead to a tiny fraction of contributions in a project coming from such people, but the actual distribution is likely more like a power law. The vast majority of projects receive essentially no attention from such people, while a few projects receive a lot, e.g. the Linux kernel.