"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Code Challenges Category (Code Golfing & others)

Code Challenges Category (Code Golfing & others)

+6
−0

I was inspired by the contests on Outdoors and Writing, and thought that having some challenges over here would be fun as well. What do you all think about adding a new category where people can post some coding challenges to the site? We could start by having a monthly contest, like on the other sites, and build from there.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (7 comments)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I agree, I think it would be best to branch off all things that aren't practical programming questions into categories of their own, if we are to allow them.

Maybe we could have a broader discussion about which categories that make sense to have overall? Some suggestions: Code golf, Code review, Program design, Database administration.

Moshi‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Lundin personally, I wouldn't make program design or database administration their own categories, but that's just me. Feel free to make a suggestion post of your own and see what others think.

My reasoning is that the mentioned category suggestions all have their own sites in the SE network, so they might eventually end up like that here as well.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

We don't need to emulate the structure on SE. We should do what makes sense to the community here. Think of categories as different kinds of content, not just different subjects. For example, contests or challenges aren't regular Q&A; it makes sense to separate those. But design is part of software dev, for example, so why separate it? There'd be edge cases (is this question about patterns more code-y or design-y?). Also, beware too many categories - cognitive load and UI overflow.

Peter Taylor‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Speaking as someone who has a lot of experience on codegolf.SE: writing a good spec for a challenge is hard. There's a reason that PPCG has a sandbox in meta and strongly encourages everyone to use it. And while there's obviously "real world" professional value in learning how to write a watertight spec, I'm not sure that the benefit-to-effort ratio of a challenges section is worth it at the moment.

@Monica From SE we can get a very good idea which categories that are likely to turn out to be high traffic ones and become independent sites in the future. Code review, databases etc.

So far +5 and none against, so I suppose we should implement this unless someone can make a strong argument against it. I think we need to draft up guidelines for how to post these though. Other questions that fit in with this category might be obfuscation and tasks with artificial requirements ("write code for addition without using the + operator").