"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Should asking about book recommendations directly connected to software development be on-topic?

Parent

Should asking about book recommendations directly connected to software development be on-topic?

+7
−0

Context

We have recently received a suggestion to allow questions about recommending books directly connected to software development.

The way I see this now (pros and cons)

Pros:

• allow more questions that help software developers

Cons:

• tend to be open-ended, unless there is not a vast domain (e.g. Java development)
  • tend to be opinion based

What do you think? Should we allow such questions?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

Disclaimer: I am new here, I have not understood the overall policy of the site (yet), I can offer no moderator perspective, more a user and regular (unpaid) documentation contributor perspective.

The current answers mix a lot of different approaches together and the question was not specific in which approach should be pursued. Maybe instead of saying no, the goal should be to find a solution which is managable, not "authoritative" list with random books of questionable quality.

I would like to respond to the initial question how I understand it: Questions asking for book recommendations on a specific topic (e.g. getting started with python, clean code etc.) or even if a more complex topic can't really be answered or should be answered with book (or online resource) recommendations. It is not about "A question about a specific book" or comparing 2 books. Also, I am not sure about the collaborative community maintained authoritative answer. Why not use the ususal answer format and get the best answers upvoted?

I would be pro questions asking for recommendations and answers with (ideally) annotated book recommendations (where the recommendation is explained) because:

(1) A large flaw of Stack Overflow is IMHO offering too much fish and not enough teaching how to catch fish. If you ask for a book recommendation or how to get started as beginner or how to increase knowledge on specific topic or how to debug and troubleshoot, the question will (usually) be closed. But trivial RTFM or copy-paste beginner questions are heavily upvoted.

To be a "better" site with helping people learn and grow and figure things out for themselves (instead of only giving them the answers, ready to copy-paste), it is my wish the site offers more help for "how to learn something" and "figure things out themselves" and maybe not less but less prominent "how to do xyz".

(2) IMHO, some questions should not be asked, especially if they would be self-answered by taking a good book or online tutorial or online course and learning for an hour or even a week. But, as a beginner, it is very difficult to figure out what a good resource is. Help make it easier to rely on and strengthen good learning resources (be it in books, online, videos or whatever) instead of effectively replacing them. And offer something only where these fall short.

Example: Not programming related example for trivial beginner question and docs drowned out by forums in search:

• search for "exit vim". The documentation is drowned out by the forums in the search results. In the documentation, this question is answered. If the explanation in the docs is not sufficient, I would attempt to improve the documentation, not ask and heavily upvote a question about it on Stack Overflow. The same goes for many Git questions, JavaScript etc.
  • Another example: The Apache web server documentation online is free and excellent. Yet many people insist on asking trivial questions where the answers are literally copy-pasted from the docs.

Book recommendations will not entirely solve this. But they are a start and a commitment to fostering learning.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Problems with non-authorative recommendations (3 comments)
Problems with non-authorative recommendations
Lundin‭ wrote over 1 year ago

The problem with "non-authoritative" recommendations is that they become completely subjective. If some random person with random experience likes a certain book, then that doesn't tell us anything more than a random subjective review on Amazon - it all turns low quality and unlikely to be of actual use to anyone. The whole reason why SO is so successful is the focus on technical correctness over chit chat/opinions. So if you instead can get a bunch of domain experts agreeing that a certain book is good/bad, then it holds value since they will be on the same level of experience as the book author. And would be able to tell if a book is factually incorrect. Also pedagogy and technical correctness are two entirely different parameters and both are very important. So books directed at beginners could get away with simplifications since they might prioritize pedagogy over technical correctness.

Lorenzo Donati‭ wrote 9 months ago

I share your concern: bad recommendations are worse than no recommendations. However I strongly feel there is a really bad need for a place where books and (IMO) other Internet sources (e.g. reference sites like cppreference.com) are evaluated and reviewed with competence. I agree we may still lack a critical mass of domain experts, though.

Lundin‭ wrote 9 months ago

Lorenzo Donati‭ Yes indeed, it would be very valuable as a source to for example programming teachers, who have usually have intermediate knowledge but not to the point where they can question if a certain book is valid or not. As you can tell from the whole story in this post, I did try to get this working for C programming on SO but there was just one other person with relevant level of expertise interested, even though the C community is quite active and contains lots of domain experts.