"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on Can regular users add tag wikis? And what are the guidelines for creating them?

Parent

Can regular users add tag wikis? And what are the guidelines for creating them?

+6
−0

Checking the list of tags, I noticed that all of the tag wikis are empty, like this:

empty tag wiki

I also noticed that I can't edit those info.

Will it be possible for regular users to add tag wikis?1

And if there is such possibility, what are the recommendations for creating those wikis? Based on the screenshot above, it seems to me that they'll be similar to SE's tag wikis (an excerpt/usage info and a "body" with detailed info).

But SE has clear guidelines regarding what should and shouldn't be in a tag wiki. Can we follow that - at least while we don't have our own guidelines defined - or do we already have something different in mind?

1. if I can't edit tag wikis due to not having reached the threshold/trust level for it, please ignore this

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

Editing tag descriptions is a privilege, currently based on reputation. (Changes to the privilege system are coming, but not yet.) The threshold is currently set at 250 rep. I recognize the bootstrapping problem of a new site, particularly one that doesn't have moderators yet. Please feel free to add proposed descriptions in answers here and I (or someone else with admin privs) will drop them in for you. I'm hoping that as activity picks up, it won't be too long before community members can do this directly. We could lower the limit further if that's what folks here prefer; please let us know.

As far as guidance is concerned, the first job of a tag description is to provide enough information for someone who's about to use it to know this is the right tag. Sometimes that'll be obvious from the tag name, but if it's not, please convey usage intent. The longer description can flesh this out more and link related tags.

On SE, there was the occasional tag wiki that was more of a canonical post or thorough article about the subject. That information is great to have, and SE didn't provide any other place for it. It was also the case that people didn't always find that excellent information when looking for it; tag wikis aren't an intuitive place to look for many people. The community here is welcome to build out those kinds of tag wikis if y'all think that's the best approach, but consider other options too. This community can have categories beyond Q&A and Meta. Cooking has Recipes, several sites have challenges (example), Electrical Engineering has a forthcoming Papers category, and Meta has a blog. Notice that some of those categories have articles rather than Q&A. If the Software Development community wants a blog or a reference category or something like that, we can set it up and you can post information there that will probably be more visible than the tag descriptions.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
hkotsubo‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I like the idea of using categories, we could use them to have canonical articles, and tag wikis would be restricted to usage instructions (perhaps with a link to the corresponding article?). Not sure about the category name and guidelines though - if I think of something, I'll post as another meta question. Thanks for your response!

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@hkotsubo I think there's an opportunity here for the software community to build an outstanding library of articles alongside Q&A. They'll be more visible than they would be as tag descriptions, and yes they could be linked from tag descriptions (or from answers, or from outside the network like when you need to point a coworker to something). I'm looking forward to seeing what the community here will decide to build; we're happy to advise but don't want to dictate.