"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Software Development on Codidact!

Will you help us build our independent community of developers helping developers? We're small and trying to grow. We welcome questions about all aspects of software development, from design to code to QA and more. Got questions? Got answers? Got code you'd like someone to review? Please join us.

Comments on An HTML form in Hebrew is Right to Left in general but a select list inside it is Left to Right

An HTML form in Hebrew is Right to Left in general but a select list inside it is Left to Right

+1
−3

My HTML form got dir="rtl" attribute and value and in desktop computer systems it appears Right to Left (RTL) but in my mobile device (OnePLus 6) with Android and DuckDuckGo browser, the form's HTML select list is not flipped Right to Left so the Hebrew is Left to Right, oddly.

Relevant parts of the much larger code:

<form dir="rtl" lang="he" id="contact_form" class="prcf_general_structure" action="prcf-main/backend/contact_form.php" method="POST">
				<div id="prcf_form_child">
					<div class="prcf_context">
						<div><label for="prcf_input_topic" id="prcf_label_topic">פנייה בנושא</label></div>
						<select name="topic" id="prcf_input_topic" class="prcf_generally_any_field">

An image in which the odd Left to Right Hebrew is shown ; the select list has five options --- and they are all "juxtaposed" to the left of the select list modal in mobile devices instead to the right of the modal

The text should be in the right and circles should be in the left.

Why is this problem occurring and how would you suggest solve it?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Rejection of my edit. (5 comments)
General comments (6 comments)
General comments
elgonzo‭ wrote almost 3 years ago · edited almost 3 years ago

Uh, the text in your screenshot is right-to-left, no? I don't know Hebrew, but "אבחון קידום אתרים" translates to "SEO Diagnosis", and "שיווק באמצעות תוכן" to "Content Marketing" or something similar (based on Google Translate and Wikipedia). It feels to me your actual concern/problem seems to be rather about text alignment, but not text direction. In other words: Is your problem with the text not "hugging" the right side of the select UI?

To clarify, if you would suffer from a left-to-right vs. right-to-left issue, you would have a problem with the direction of the text flow, where for example "אבחון קידום אתרים" (text direction being RTL/right-to-left) would be incorrectly displayed as "םירתא םודיק ןוחבא" (text direction being LTR/left-to-right). But that doesn't seem to be the case with your problem here...

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 3 years ago · edited almost 3 years ago

The text is correct; I assume the issue is about it being left-aligned instead of right-aligned (with the radio buttons)?

deleted user wrote almost 3 years ago

@elgonzo, the text should be in the right and circles should be in the left.

corporat‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

@JohnDoea that sounds like an implementation detail you could raise as an issue to the DDG browser team. Have you tried it in multiple other browsers as well? I'm guessing DDG browser is a Chromium browser so they might kick your request to the Chromium team.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.

You have defined dir="rtl" in your <form> element. Note how the comboboxes in the background of your screenshot are mirrored compared to LTR. So, i would naturally expect the radiobuttions also adhere to this directive. Since radiobuttons are normally in front of a text label, for RTL this would mean being right of a text label (so it's in front of the text label). Is it your intention to keep "mirrored" comboboxes while keeping the select UI "un-mirrored"?